Child sexual abuse is a crime that thrives in silence, secrecy, and shame. Talking openly about it is the only way to break down barriers and reduce stigma. We believe ending child sexual abuse begins with building an informed community with the courage to talk. Take a stand to ensure every child can grow up safe, protected, and loved. Become a People of Courage Ambassador today!
- Annual contribution of at least $1,000 (quarterly/monthly options available)
- Commitment to learning about the issue of child sexual abuse and its prevention
- Courage to speak up and to inspire others to talk openly about the issue
- Attend the annual People of Courage luncheon
- Follow our social media channels and stay up to date on latest work of ChildSafe and People of Courage
- Be recognized on People of Courage Wall within ChildSafe’s new award winning campus
- Be recognized as People of Courage Ambassador on the ChildSafe website, social media, and print materials
- Participate in a powerful community-wide child abuse prevention effort
- Receive discounted ticket(s) for the annual People of Courage event
- For Ambassadors bringing onboard 5 new members to the group in a year, there will be an opportunity for free once-a-year use of ChildSafe’s meeting space(s) and/or use of ChildSafe’s ropes course for team-building exercises.
Erika & Ryan Moe
State Rep. Ina Minjarez &
Peggy & Taylor Eighmy
Foster a community where all children are free from violence, exploitation, and sexual abuse.
Be the voice for child victims of sexual abuse and exploitation, ignite discussions, be a catalyst for change, and provide an unwavering commitment to support and protect our community’s children.
ISSUE OF CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE
- With 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 7 boys sexually abused before age 18, and only 1 in 10 ever reporting, child sexual abuse remains the biggest underreported public health issue in the U.S.
- San Antonio continues to have the highest proportionate rate of confirmed child abuse cases amongst all major metropolitan TX cities. Of the 3,378 children ChildSafe served last year, 76% were sexual abuse victims.
- Rates of child sexual abuse are 5 times higher for children in families with low socioeconomic status. With 20% of our community’s children born into poverty, child sexual abuse is one of the most pressing issues in Bexar County.
- Child sexual abuse can happen in homes, schools, and youth sports environments; but it also occurs online, in form of child pornography and/or communicating in a sexual manner by phone or internet.
- Child sexual abuse exploits and degrades children and has dire life-long consequences for the victims that include negative health outcomes, mental health problems, learning disabilities, increased risk of substance abuse, increased likelihood (59% more) of arrest for juvenile crime, and the perpetuation of violence.
- Research estimates the lifetime cost of child maltreatment in the United States to be $830,928. These expenses are largely paid for by the public sector – the taxpayer.
- ChildSafe offsets this astronomical financial cost by treating and healing each child for almost $1,000 a year.